Open MSG File
MSG file extension is a message created by Microsoft's email program Outlook and saved as files. These files contain messages that were encoded with MSG extension that Outlook can open. Mostly this extension can be found on computers running Windows operating systems. These files are saved as DocFile which is also being used with Excel, Word and other Microsoft applications.
An MSG file contains information such as nameid, attachment, recipient, sender, body of the message, and others. Some parts of the file are encoded in binary and others are in ASCII. This MSG file can also be sent over the Internet to allow a recipient to download the file and open it with a specified software application.
Once Outlook is used to send emails, it generates files with MSG extension. Uninstalling Outlook may not remove all these files. You can open MSG files with applications such DFVIEW.EXE, but may not contain comprehensible email message. In addition, Microsoft Outlook application includes a calendar, contact and task manager and can do web browsing.
Applications supporting this file include Outlookfiller, OutlookEML, MSGconverter, and OpenOffice. There are several commercial applications customized to open MSG files. These include MsgViewer Pro and MsgViewer Lite. These applications look like ordinary third-party email application that can browse through MSG files located on the hard drive.
Open MSG File on Windows Operating System
- Find a MSG file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a MSG file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open MSG file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open MSG file then try to search for "MSG wiki", "application to open MSG file" or "open MSG file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open MSG file
Rate MSG file page: 4/5 based on 9 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open MSG files, file extension msg and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...